Saturday, March 17, 2012

Caprese Salad





           If you look through my blog you will most probably think that I prefer elaborate, sophisticated dishes to more effortless ones. True. Sometimes, however, I keep the food simple: whenever I deal with exceptionally fresh, high quality produce, I let it speak for itself and do not overload the dish with unnecessary elements. Indeed, it needs a little, if any, assistance of spices and condiments to be transformed into a beautiful meal.

          One of the examples of a very easy dish which can become a stunning part of a meal is Caprese Salad. No wonder, this dish that consists only of a few elements – tomato, mozzarella, basil and olive oil – has become so popular all over the world. When I’m at a supermarket, I check the shelves with dairy produce and if I spot a pack of good mozzarella or bocconcini (which, unfortunately, is difficult to find here) I grab it and head to the grocery department to pick the freshest bunch of basil and a few ripe and juicy tomatoes. I’m salivating as I slice the soft balls of cheese and arrange them on top of the bright tomato rounds at my home kitchen. A few tangy basil leaves and a touch of a home-made basil oil – and I’m ready to indulge into a very simple, yet delicious dish.




Ingredients:

2 tomatoes
50 gm mozzarella or bocconcini
1 spring of basil
1 tbsp basil oil



Method:

1. Cut the tomatoes and the cheese balls into slices. Pick the basil leaves and reserve the top of the spring for garnish.
2. Arrange the slices of tomatoes and cheese alternatively on the plate, with the basil leaves between them. Pour the basil oil over the salad and garnish with the reserved top of the spring.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...