Saturday, March 10, 2012

Pea and Mint Soup



          Pea and mint is a marriage made in heaven. I have heard about it an enormous amount of times and I do not have any reasons to disagree with this statement. On the contrary, it is a combination of flavours that I use quite often in my kitchen. I mix peas and mint to make a simple stuffing for tomatoes, I garnish zucchini and pea omelette with fresh mint, I blend the two ingredients together to make a creamy puree (which is a perfect side dish for honey glazed salmon) and, finally, I use them to make a healthy and flavourful soup. It is quick and easy, light and refreshing. In February when peas were in great abundance, I made sure that I always have a bunch of mint in the fridge: it meant that I could rustle up a lunch in a jiffy! A bowl of this delicious soup (which can be served both hot and cold) and some salad or a toast or any other small appetizer (I usually go for seafood as, in my mind, it beautifully compliments the flavours of the dish) – and I’m in heaven; in that gastronomic heaven where the marriage of pea and mint was formed!



Ingredients:

1 tbsp butter
½ onion, diced
200 gm green peas, depoded
500 ml vegetable stock, hot
½ bunch of mint
salt and black pepper to taste



Method:

1. Heat butter in a pan and sauté the onion till translucent. Add peas and cook for one more minute. Add the stock and cook for a further few minutes. Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
2. Reserve a few peas and a few mint leaves for garnish. Blend the rest of the peas with the mint leaves till smooth. Season to taste.
3. To serve, divide the soup among the bowls. Garnish with the reserved peas and mint leaves.


Note:

 You can add a tablespoon of cream or yoghurt to the soup before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...